Tuesday 14 June 2022

14/06/22 - Quitting work and hitting the airport

Today was a good day. The last day of working at my job, I quit the office at 11am and gleefully headed to Gatwick to catch my flight to Kathmandu.


But today's flight wasn't like previous flights, today we flew business class. You know the flight is going to be good when you turn up to check in and you have your own walled-off, carpeted check in queue.


The luxury did not end there. After news headlines of mass overcrowding and delays and UK airport, I next traversed to the private security lane before swiftly heading to the business lounge, and this was where my glutinous 12 hours began.

First I started with a champagne, washed down with a pie & mash, caramel shortbread and another champagne. Not wanting to under do it, I ordered the 'afternoon tea' of coronation chicken sandwich and crisps.


A quick stroll took me to the gate where I mistakenly joined the peasant queue, whilst my fellow business class passengers skipped the entire queue and walked straight to the front - rookie business class move by me.

As I entered the sparsely populated plane, I was shown my cabin for the journey complete with flat bed and privacy screen. The privacy screen that I couldn't figure out how to work until embarrassingly a stewardess stopped to show me. I received my wash bag for the flight and was asked which cocktail I would like after take off, all the while sipping another glass of champagne.

The food was delightful, a roast dinner at cruising altitude with a cheesecake and cheeseboard for dessert. And a charcuterie board for starter.


Flying in business was an eye opener - I felt at home, I felt this is how I should fly every time. I made a note to get back on the points hype and ensure I had the necessary airmiles for my next trip. 

After an extremely comfortable flight, we landed in Doha and I yet again descended on the free food and drink - this time to the extremely large lounge in the airport.

I started with a steak from the a la carte and followed this up with a biryani and some middle eastern snacks from the buffer. All of course washed down with more champagne.




After gorgin myself silly, I uncomfortable relaxed until my next flight to Kathmandu. Having reached the gate I was told to wait until everyone else had boarded and then was taken to the business class bus transfer to the plane - excessive considering only four people were in business class. Yet, I did not complain. When on board, I felt slightly duped. There was no individual cabins this time, only large business class seats that did not recline.

At this point I was knackered, but remained awake for the sea food based menu on board.


As I dosed off, the night time view was on fire with the sunset glow. As i awoke this changed to the daylight Nepalese scenery with 8,000m mountains poking above the skyline. The fact that the plane was almost eye level to the peaks of these mountains left me in awe of their stature. Eventually Kathmandu came into view and we made our descent into the busy city. 



No comments:

Post a Comment